Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Model My House







This is the model of my house which I created out of white card; the scale is 1:50. I am quite proud of my effort and the fact that it turned out do well. To make this I got a copy of the house plans to save me time by not having to physically measure the building. I started by creating the external walls and creating the cavity in between them. In then proceeded to make the internal walls and the second storey floor as well as the first floor ceiling and the space in between.
Next I made the internal walls for both upstairs and downstairs, although I didn’t actually need to make the downstairs walls because you couldn’t see them in the end, I think they helped to support the second floor, and made the model stronger.
Finally I needed to create the roof, which I found to be the most difficult part. This was difficult because firstly I needed to calculate the shape of each of the parts of the roof, by using 3D trigonometry. Secondly it was difficult because the angled sections did not provide a good gluing surface, which caused the roof to want to fall apart if I didn’t hold it in place, even with a support frame being used.
If I was to remake this model I think I would be more accurate in my measurements and cuts, because I found as I tried to assemble it that a few things did not line up perfectly, and required a bit off effort to get them adjoin. Also I think I would be a lot more cleaner with my work because once I got glue on the card it tended not to come off easily, and if I wet the card to remove the glue, I would disintegrate if I wet it too much.

No comments: