Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Transformative Model






This is my transformative model that I created in response to the original card model. Here I decided to use the transformative actions of partially destroying, and selective removal. I partially destroyed the model by burning the balsa wood to make it look like the building had been on fire. I tried to have some logical path to the burning, such that the fire started in the front of the top apartment, and the flames have then propagated down to engulf the lower parts of the building.
I decided it was better to craft each part of the model first, then burn it and then assemble it, rather than burning the entire thing at once. This is because I would have been so devastated if the whole thing just went up in fire and disintegrated into a pile of ashes. Hence the first option was a better choice. To get each of the parts to burn right I had to douse them in turps and then set them on fire. I found that if I just used a match to light them the fire would just eat away the balsa, leaving big chunks missing, but if I used the turps the fire would burn on top of the wood and blacken it. I had to make sure I controlled the burning so I didn’t set anything I didn’t want to on fire, like my house, so I had a bucket of water handy and did the burning on the concrete driveway. I also decided that I should burn the roof, which was core fluting, this turned out not to be a good idea, as it is plastic, hence some dangerous gases were given off and I felt pretty sick after doing it, I may also now get cancer too.
With assembling the model I decided to focus on the architectural space in the building, giving the more sense to the narrative of the fire, such that this blaze has ravaged the building, destroying the facade and exposing the structural elements.
I added structural elements such as beams to the space between the floors and left this open at both ends so that it could be seen. I also used a sought of organic mesh which I added between the layers of the external walls which looked as if it were some sought of wire frame that the building was supported by. I also decided to add elements to the roof such as rafters to hold it up.
The most difficult part for me in this model was the assembly, because I found once I burnt the balsa wood, there wasn’t much of a surface to glue on so I was required to hold each piece in place and wait for the glue to dry. If I was too make this model again I think I would redo the base that the model sat on and incorporate it into the model more, I would also like to explore the selective removal process more, I think that I could have shown more parts of the building such as the interior spaces better.

No comments: